Current:Home > MyRobert Brown|Trial set for North Dakota’s pursuit of costs for policing Dakota Access pipeline protests -Capitatum
Robert Brown|Trial set for North Dakota’s pursuit of costs for policing Dakota Access pipeline protests
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 01:45:22
BISMARCK,Robert Brown N.D. (AP) — A court fight over whether the federal government should cover North Dakota’s $38 million in costs of responding to the lengthy protests of the Dakota Access oil pipeline years ago near its controversial river crossing will continue as a judge said the case is “ripe and ready for trial.”
The state filed the lawsuit in 2019, seeking $38 million. The lawsuit’s bench trial was scheduled earlier this month to begin Feb. 15, 2024, in Bismarck before U.S. District Court Judge Daniel Traynor, estimated to last 12-13 days.
Traynor on Wednesday denied the federal government’s motion for summary judgment to dismiss the case, and granted the state’s motion to find that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers “failed to follow its mandatory permitting procedures” for the protest activities on its land, among several rulings he made in his order.
Thousands of people gathered to camp and demonstrate near the pipeline’s controversial Missouri River crossing upstream of the Standing Rock Reservation. The Standing Rock Sioux Tribe has long opposed the pipeline due to the potential risk of the line breaking and contaminating the tribe’s water supply.
The Corps’ “abdication of the responsibility it undertook to maintain public safety at the protest site left North Dakota, at both the State and local level, with the entire burden to protect public safety and maintain law and order in the face of the brazen illegal conduct,” the state said in its 2019 complaint.
North Dakota Attorney General Drew Wrigley said negotiations continue with the federal government as the trial looms.
“This is an important and complicated and, now at this point, protracted matter,” he said Monday. “We’ve made our best assessment, not based on just what we can say with a straight face, but what we believe the law of the United States and the equities involved in this case merit, and we’re sticking to that.”
The protests, which drew international attention, lasted from roughly August 2016 to February 2017 and resulted in hundreds of arrests and subsequent criminal cases. The pipeline has been transporting oil since June 2017.
In 2017, the pipeline company donated $15 million to help cover the response costs, and the U.S. Justice Department also gave a $10 million grant to the state for reimbursement.
Former President Donald Trump denied a request from the state for the federal government to cover the costs through a disaster declaration.
A public comment period recently ended on the draft of a court-ordered environmental review of the pipeline’s river crossing. The process is key for the future of the pipeline, with a decision expected in late 2024. The document laid out options of denying the easement and removing or abandoning the line’s river segment, granting the easement with no changes or with additional safety measures, or rerouting the pipeline north of Bismarck.
veryGood! (918)
Related
- Carolinas bracing for second landfall from Tropical Storm Debby: Live updates
- Powerball jackpot reaches a staggering $1.4 billion. See winning numbers for Oct. 7.
- Rio de Janeiro’s security forces launch raids in 3 favelas to target criminals
- Simone Biles wins something more important than medals at world championships
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Fantasy football rankings for Week 5: Bye week blues begin
- 'I just want her back': Israeli mom worries daughter taken hostage by Hamas militants
- Flights at Hamburg Airport in Germany suspended after a threat against a plane from Iran
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- At least 15 people have been killed in floods set off by heavy rains in Cameroon’s capital
Ranking
- Southern California rocked by series of earthquakes: Is a bigger one brewing?
- Timeline of surprise rocket attack by Hamas on Israel
- Stock market today: Markets steady in Asia after Israel declares war following Hamas attack in Gaza
- NASCAR playoffs: Where the Cup drivers stand as the Round of 8 begins
- The GOP and Kansas’ Democratic governor ousted targeted lawmakers in the state’s primary
- Oklahoma is among teams moving up in top 10, while Texas tumbles in US LBM Coaches Poll
- Major airlines suspend flights to Israel after massive attack by Hamas ignites heavy fighting
- Dyson Flash Sale: Score $250 Off the V8 Animal Cordfree Vacuum
Recommendation
Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
Banned in Iran, a filmmaker finds inspiration in her mother for 'The Persian Version'
Panthers OL Chandler Zavala carted off field, taken to hospital for neck injury
Georgia officers say suspect tried to run over deputy before he was shot in arm and run off the road
Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno
Opinion polls show Australians likely to reject Indigenous Voice to Parliament at referendum
She survived being shot at point-blank range. Who wanted Nicki Lenway dead?
US Senate Majority Leader Schumer criticizes China for not supporting Israel after Hamas attack